Wednesday 9 July 2014

Conversations. Know your lines


I am through working overtime !!!
DanIt's quitting time. I'm gonna clock out now. See you, guys.
TonyWait, Dan. Did you work on all the papers and documents we need for tomorrow's brainstorm meeting ?
DanNot yet. But I can finish those tomorrow.
TonyNo way ! We need those materials and numbers first thing in the morning. You got to finish them tonight.
DanUgh, I am through working overtime !
TonyThis is business. We have a deadline to meet. And you wont' be the only one under pressure. We've all got to crank out this project tonight.
Explanation :
 
I am through working overtime - I don't want to work overtime anymore.
 
Example : I am through with him. [ Do not want to have any dealings with him ]



The numbers didn't add up !!!
MaxThese are just some rough ideas I have. Maybe we can try this out.
MichelleGood points, Max. But we should take a look at the figures Dan got for us. Dan, what are these figures based on ? And how solid are they ?
DanThe figures are based on first quarter's profits. I believe they are very solid.
MichelleBut these figures do not support Max's argument. And I noticed the numbers didn't add up. Anyway, I want you to go over these numbers once again. We can't use them before they prove to be right.
DanGot it. I'll go through all the materials again.
MichelleOK, guys. We've been sitting for 3 hours. we'd better get up and stretch our legs. We'll discuss it further later today.
Explanation :
 
If a situation does not add up, there is no reasonable or likely explanation for it.
 
Example : Why would she disappear the day before her holiday? It just doesn't add up.





It tastes stale!


Wayne:What are we going to eat for dinner?
Lilia:I'm going to fix some lamb chops.
Wayne:I'm afraid the meat is rotten.
Lilia:That's strange!  I just bought it the day before yesterday.
Wayne:Well, I forgot to put it in the refrigerator.
Lilia:Good for you!  Now what should we eat?
Wayne:Why don't we eat out?
Lilia:Again?  Weren't you just complaining that it's too expensive to eat out?
Wayne:Not when you're hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment