Wednesday 23 July 2014

CONVERSATION LESSON

Conversation about the weather?

Mr Bean goes to the local store to buy something to eat for is dinner he starts to make small talk about the weather with the owner of the store.
Mr Bean: - Good morning!
Shopkeeper: - Morning. How’s are you today?
Mr Bean: - Not so bad, thanks, you?
Shopkeeper: - Am good, apart from all this rain! It’s chucking down again!
Mr Bean: - Yes, it’s awful, isn’t it? And it is very cold!
Shopkeeper: - The weather forecast said it will brighten up after lunch.
Mr Bean: - They always say that! Still, I can’t complain it’s a lot warmer than back home.
Shopkeeper: - Really? Where are you from?
Mr Bean: - Am from Russia
 Shopkeeper: - What’s the weather like in Russia now?
Mr Bean: - Freezing cold, and snowing.
Shopkeeper: - Right! So this must be like summer for you!
Mr Bean: - Right! But I do like the snow sometimes.

TALKING ON THE PHONE

Making contact

Hello / Good morning / Good afternoon 

This is Jason Brown speaking
 
Could I speak to Jane please
 
I'd like to speak to ..... .....

I'm trying to contact ..........

Introducing yourself in a work enviroment

Good morning, Mc Donalds  how can I help you?
Hello, the Grand Royal Hotel. Sarah Brown speaking what can I do for you?
Hello, this is John from Manchester college.
Hello, my name’s Peter . I’m calling from Microsoft .

Asking for the caller’s name

Who’s calling, please?
Can I have your name, please?

Saying who you want

Can I have the accounts department? I’d like to speak to … .
Could I speak to Linda, please?
Is David there, please?
I’m calling about the dog you have for sale .

 Responding

I’ll put you through. Hold the line, please.talking on the telephone English lesson
I’m sorry he/ she is not available.
I’m afraid he/ she’s busy at the moment.
I’m afraid he/ she’s away/ not in at the moment/ in a meeting.
Reason for calling
I’m ringing to … . I’d like to … .
I need some information about … .
 Leaving and taking a message
Can I leave a message? Can I take a message?
Would you like to leave a message?
Please tell him/ her … .
Could you ask him/ her to call me? Could you tell him/ her I called?
Asking for repetition
I’m sorry, but I didn’t catch your name/ your number. Sorry, I didn’t hear that.
Could you repeat it, please?
Could you say it again? I’m afraid I didn’t understand. Could you spell that, please?
Could you speak up?

No comments:

Post a Comment